Cancer is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body. Cancer is the abnormal growth of cell and there are more than 100 types of cancers which include breast, skin and lung cancer. Among these types of cancers, skin cancer is the most common cancer and at least 40% of world population is suffering from skin cancer. there are various symptoms that signify skin cancer that is, changes in the skin that do not heal, uncaring in the skin, discolored skin, and changes in existing moles, such as jagged edges to the mole and enlargement of the mole. People with light skin are seen to be more prone to these types of skin diseases.
What Is Skin Cancer?
3 Major Types of Skin Cancer
These three major skin cancers occur due skin exposed in sun more than necessary .basal cell skin cancer occurs on the face and rarely cause death. squamous cell skin cancer is also most commonly seen in people but melanoma is uncommon and savior and can result in death.
1. Basal Cell Carcinoma Signs and Symptoms
Basal cell skin cancer is raised, pearly bump on the sun-exposed skin of the head, neck, and shoulder. In basal skin cancer, frequent crusting and bleeding can be noticed within the tumor. It was mistakenly taken as a sore that does not heal. The bump on the sun-exposed skin becomes dark with the growth of it; some unusual skin hardening can be seen. This skin cancer is not deadly and can be treated if proper treatment is done.
2. Squamous Cell Carcinoma Signs and Symptoms
squamous cell skin cancer is mostly red, scaled, and thickened patch on the sun-exposed skin. ulteceration and bleeding can be seen on the affected part of the body. The main symptom of squamous cell skin cancer is a growing bump that may have rough, scaly surface. This skin cancer is more dangerous than basal cell skin cancer if squamous cell skin cancer is not treated properly and within a time limit than it can have serious effects and can bring a person to death.
3. Melanoma Signs and Symptoms
Melanoma cell skin cancer has various symptoms, and sign they can be red, fleshy or pink but these tend to be more aggressive than any other skin cancer. The most common symptom of melanoma skin cancer is an elevation in the size, shape, and color of a mole. The affected area can be itchy and redness around that area can be seen. This is the most dangerous skin cancer and can cause death if not treated properly.
5 Skin Cancer Warning Signs
1. An irregular mole: never ignore this sign because elevation in shape, size, and color of a mole can signify melanoma cell skin cancer. If you notice that any mole on your body differs from other moles then immediately consults a doctor.
2. A vertical dark streak on your nails: many people are unaware of the fact that skin cancer can happen on any part of your body which includes your finger and toenails too.
3. Vision problems: in melanoma cell skin cancer the vision problem is also seen as spot appears on the back of the eye which makes the vision to blur out.
4. A pimple that won’t go away: people are generally seen irritated due to pimples on their skin but sometimes these pimples signify serious health condition because frequent pimples or old pimples which do not heal can be a symptom of skin cancer.
5. A mole on the sole of your feet: so many people have moles on their feet or palms of their hands but if you see a mole changing its shape or size or else see a new unusual mole on your palms or soles of feet that consult a doctor.
What are the Causes of Skin Cancer?
The major reason for skin cancer is more than sufficient exposure of skin to the sun which means exposure to ultraviolet rays which causes sunburn which results in skin diseases. Other reason includes repeated exposure to x-rays and exposure to certain chemicals which are harmful to skin.
Who is at Risk for Skin Cancer?
People who have fair skin, who sunburn easily are more prone to skin cancer and People with light blond or red hair are suspected to be more frequent to suffer from skin cancer and People who were born with numerous and/or unusual moles. Skin cancer can also be inherited. For instance, if any of the parents is dealing with skin cancer than it is possible that the offspring is more prone to skin cancer.
When to See a Doctor
If you notice any abnormality in your skin like bumps, redness on a particular area without any reason and variation in the size, shape, and color of the mole then do not ignore these signs and seek a doctor’s advice immediately without wasting any other second.
Tips to Prevent Skin Cancer
There are various tips to prevent cancer
- Stay away from UV rays and if the work is important then go out after covering your whole body and never forget an umbrella.
- Before going out always apply sunscreen to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays.
- Try every method to protect your skin from damaging and keep yourself from tanning and sunburn.